Responsible Wood Sourcing
Recognizing the impact of deforestation and forest degradation on the health of our planet and people, Macy’s is committed to responsibly sourcing its wood-based products including furniture, paper, paper-based packaging, and materials from manmade cellulosic fibers.
As part of this commitment, Macy’s partners with its suppliers to develop robust strategies to increase the amount of responsibly sourced wood. Additionally, Macy’s will look to reduce the amount of virgin sourced wood by utilizing recycled, reclaimed, and reused materials where possible.
Macy’s is working with its suppliers to achieve this goal through the development of programs fostering transparency and certification compliance. While Macy’s encourages Forest Stewardship Council certification for wood-based products, Macy's also acknowledges the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification and Sustainable Forestry Initiative certifications as tools that support responsible forest management.Macy's requires suppliers of wood-based products to comply with the U.S. Lacey Act.
Additionally, Macy’s is committed to avoiding wood from unacceptable sources, including:
- Illegally harvested or traded timber
- Timber harvested in violation of traditional or civil rights
- Timber harvested from areas in which conservation values are threatened by poor forest management
- Timber harvested from areas being converted from forest to agricultural land or non-forest use
- Timber harvested from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted