Human Rights Corporate Statement
A message to our stakeholders from the Macy’s Inc. CEO:
At Macy’s, Inc., we are committed to creating value for all stakeholders. We are deeply integrated in the communities we serve as an employer, a partner, and a great place to shop.
Our actions — both in our local communities and across the enterprise — are guided by our values of Acceptance, Respect, Integrity and Giving Back. And, Macy’s, Inc. respects fundamental human rights.
We are committed to being a responsible steward of our resources, closely monitoring that our merchandise is produced in an ethical and responsible manner, and using our position as a national retailer to create shared value for our customers, colleagues, and the communities in which we operate. We have comprehensive programs in place to maximize our partners’ adherence to our standards, conduct third-party audits, identify issues, and drive remediations when violations occur.
We proactively engage on issues that span the breadth of our operations — including product responsibility, supply chain management and transparency, diversity and inclusion, and building resilient communities. We believe we can impact human rights through the following efforts:
- We value and respect all of our colleagues, and promote a safe, inclusive, diverse and respectful workplace. Our Code of Conduct outlines our commitments and provides a platform to report any violations or concerns.
- We respect the rights of workers in our supply chain and require brand partners for both our private brands and national brands to operate ethically, with respect for the human rights of their workers, and with regard for their environmental impact. Our Vendor and Supplier Code of Conduct outlines our minimum standards shared with all our suppliers. Macy’s, Inc. is also a signatory of the Commitment to Responsible Recruitment — an effort to address potential forced labor risks for migrant workers in the global supply chain.
- We commit to sourcing of raw materials responsibly. Our Conflict Minerals Policy specifies our due diligence measures to ensure that the metals and other minerals contained in the private brand products we sell are obtained, produced, and used in a socially responsible manner. We are also signatories of the Responsible Sourcing Network’s Uzbek Cotton Pledge which states our firm opposition to the use of forced labor in Uzbekistan's cotton production.
- We have a comprehensive Diversity and Inclusion policy that sets specific goals for our workforce, customers’ rights, supplier diversity, community engagement, and marketing standards.
- We strive to Build and Celebrate Community by supporting local and national charities. Giving back is one of our core values, and we want to create as much positive social impact as possible.
- We believe that every customer who walks through our doors should be treated with dignity, respect and kindness. Our Customer Bill of Rights describes our commitment and is posted prominently in every store.
We maintain strong governance practices that reinforce accountability to our commitments. The Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee of the Macy’s, Inc. Board of Directors oversees policies and practices related to charitable, political, social and environmental issues, sustainability initiatives and reporting. The Corporate Strategy Group (CSG) comprises the most senior members of our management team and oversees the governance practices that reinforce our accountability to our commitments throughout our business operations.
We proactively engage with stakeholders, industry groups, and various memberships to help advance our commitment to human rights. Some of these partnerships include:
- The Retail Industry Leaders Association’s Responsible Sourcing and Environmental Working Groups
- The American Apparel and Footwear Association Responsible Sourcing Working Group
- The Sustainable Apparel Coalition
- The Responsible Minerals Initiative
We are committed to operating in alignment with the following instruments where applicable:
- International Labor Organization Core Conventions
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- The International Bill of Human Rights
- The United Nations Global Compact
- OECD due diligence guidance
Macy’s, Inc. will continue to engage with key stakeholders to understand their concerns and collaborate with our industry partners to find solutions. Our endeavors to identify and address salient human rights issues to drive positive change for people everywhere will continue to be at the forefront.
Last Updated: October 2020