At Macy's, Inc., we are committed to diversity and inclusion across all aspects of our business. Guided by our corporate values — Acceptance, Respect, Integrity and Giving back — we know that we are at our best when our business fully reflects the rich diversity of our Colleagues, Customers, and Communities. To advance this work at Macy's we focus on five areas that are critical to our growth and success:
- Building a Diverse and Inclusive Workforce
- Ensuring Merchandising and Supplier Diversity
- Reflecting the Diversity of our Customers in our Marketing
- Engaging our Community Partners
- Driving Proactive Customer Inclusion Initiatives
This is an area we are always working on, but Macy's is proud of what we've already accomplished, including:
- Diversity on the Board of Directors: We believe diversity of thought is important on our board, and we encourage as many perspectives and experiences as possible. The age range of Macy's, Inc. directors is 41 to 71 and of our nine independent directors five are women and three are ethnic minorities.
- Women in Leadership Roles: Building on a long history of women in leadership roles at Macy's, more than 50% of our management team executives are women, including at the executive vice president level and above.
- Macy's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs): More than 4,000 Macy's colleagues support nearly 50 ERG communities at Macy's. Their collective voice is instrumental in executing our diversity and inclusion strategy. Their many successes include driving our national “Can We Talk?” program on cultural and social issues, promoting career development, and building team resilience.
- The Workshop at Macy's: Macy's is committed to fostering the next generation of minority- and women-owned merchandise suppliers. Our award-winning Workshop at Macy's is an exclusive retail vendor development program designed to give select minority- and women-owned businesses tools they need to achieve and sustain growth in the retail industry. With more than 100 graduated businesses, May 2018 marked the eighth year of the program. Find out more about this innovative program, including how to apply, on The Workshop at Macy's website.
Diversity and inclusion will continue to be business imperatives at Macy's, Inc. aligned with our priorities and integrated into all areas of our company.